Friday, December 26, 2008

Coming home for Christmas

(The busy street of J.P Laurel in Davao City)
I slept. I woke up. I was late.

I always have this habit of coming late during my flights. I don't know. It's either because I woke up late or it's simply because of my delaying tactics. As I said, I don't know.

I have been a constant traveller and I love the feeling of being one with the heavens and seeing what's below through a bird's eye.

But this trip is a whole lot different. With just the thought of it, butteflies start flying in my stomach. It was not the airport, not the airplane, and definitely not the thought of flying.

After an hour and a half of sitting on a window seat, the flight attendant finally spoke, "We have just landed on Davao International Airport," I sighed. And there I realized. What made this trip different is that Im coming home. Finally.

There I saw them - my aunts, my uncle, my cousins, and my lola. I was almost in tears, but I decided not to. I don't want to start my vacation with tears. Not a good start, I thought.

Seeing smiles from your family was heavenly. It was like I haven't seen them in years.

Everything was the same - same food we are, same songs we sang, same beers we drink. What made this extra special is the gift-giving session. Excitement filled the air when I gave my Christmas gifts - smiles, thank you's, I like it's..that made it more special.

Celebrating Christmas with my family means a lot to me. It's not about the gifts that I'll be receiving. Not the drinking sessions. But it's celebrating the season with the people you love, the reason you call it a celebration.

I am now looking forward to a Christmas celebration same as what we had this year. We may not have the fireworks. We may not have the special hamon. What we have is a blessed and meaningful celebration of Christ's birth. Nothing compares to that.

Nothing could ever replace the bliss when you come home for Christmas.

2 comments:

j said...

have a great vacation dear! mwah :)

auburn-locks said...

mHappy that you are finally...home.

Hope you had a blastin' vacation. I always wanted to go to Davao, you or "delson" could be my ticket. :D

Anyway, miss you friend. Take care okay, I know jon is longing for you na. :D Come Back to us..complete. :D Joke